1803: Risdon Cove (about 7 kms north of Hobart) was settled by a small group of 49 soldiers, sailors, settlers and convicts in September 1803 under command of Lieutenant John Bowen. 1804: Sullivan's Cove (Hobart) becomes the main penal colony in February 1804 under Lieutenant Governor David Collins. He was moving his colony of about 400 from Port Phillip (Melbourne) which he had settled the previous year, and he now rejected Risdon Cove due to its inadequate source of fresh water. Church of England clergyman Robert Knopwood conducts its first divine service. The name Hobart Town was adopted by the settlement in June 1804, after Lord Hobart the Colonial Secretary. Colonel William Paterson establishes a settlement in the north of the island at the mouth of the Tamar River, first at George Town in November 1804, then shifts to York Town on the western side of the river a few months later. 1805: First land grants. 1806: Colonel William Paterson begins transfer of York Town settlement 50kms south to the site of modern Launceston. 1807: The first Norfolk Island settlers, being relocated due to Norfolk Island's remoteness, arrive in Hobart in the Lady Nelson and resettle at New Norfolk, 20 miles north-west of Hobart in the Derwent Valley. 1810: First church, St David's, built. Colony's first flour mill built. Administration launches colony's first newspaper, the Derwent Star and Van Diemen's Land Intelligencer. 1815: First Van Diemen's Land wheat shipment to Sydney. 1816: Following the war with Napoleon and the European peace at Waterloo, first emigrant ship arrives with free settlers from England. 1817: Additional ships loaded with convicts now begin to arrive, about 2,000 yearly. New Government House occupied in Macquarie St, on site of present Town Hall, at lower Elizabeth St and Franklin Square. 1819: First proper hospital opens. 1823: The Presbyterian Church's first official ministry in Australia now opens in Hobart. Also the first bank, Bank of Van Diemen's Land, now established. 1824: The inauguration of the Supreme Court, and the opening of Cascade Brewery. 1825: Van Diemen's Land becomes an independent colony, now with its own judiciary and legislative council. 1828: Martial Law declared against aborigines. Ends in 1832 with the rounding up of the last 230 who were sent to Flinders Island in the Bass Strait. Today, none of the full-bloods remain. 1831: Land Grants to free settlers ends, sales start. 1838: The first secular register of births, deaths and marriages in the British colonies established. 1840: Transportation from Britain to NSW ends, causing heavier influx of convicts to Tasmania. 1844: Norfolk Island, formerly administered by NSW, comes under Tasmanian control. 1849: Anti-transportation league formed after Launceston public meeting. 1853: Jubilee festival in Hobart celebrates end of convict transportation after arrival of last ship, the St Vincent. 1856: Name of Van Diemen's Land officially changed to Tasmania after grant of responsible self-government. New two-house Parliament opens after elections, William Champ becomes colony's first Premier. Norfolk Island transferred from Tasmanian to NSW control. 1860: British troops sail from Hobart for Maori war in New Zealand. 1870: British troops leave permanently. 1874: First book publication of Marcus Clarke's For the Term of His Natural Life, set mainly in Tasmania. 1877: Port Arthur penal settlement closed.
Extract from https://en.wikipedia.org /wiki/Port_Phillip #British_settlement
1802: Named Port King after Governor King in Sydney.
1803: Governor King decided to place a convict settlement at Port King mainly to stake a claim to southern Australia ahead of the French. On 10 October 1803 a convoy of two ships led by Captain David Collins carrying 402 people (15 Government officials, 9 officers of marines, 2 drummers, 39 privates, 5 soldiers' wives and a child, and 307 convicts with 17 convicts' wives and 7 children) arrived at Port King. After some investigation it was decided to establish the settlement at a spot named Sullivan Bay, 100 kms to the south. But lack of fresh water, and good timber, meant this colony was abandoned on 27 January 1804, and resettled on land named Sullivan Cove in Van Diemen's Land, today Hobart.
1805: Governor King formally renamed Port King as Port Phillip, in honour of his predecessor Arthur Phillip.
1829: A sealer William Dutton built a hut on the shore of Portland Bay (360 kms west of Port Phillip) in 1829 where he resided until his death. In 1834 Edward Henty and his family landed in Portland Bay from Van Diemen's Land and began the first permanent European settlement on this north coast.
1835: In May and June 1835, the area which is now central and northern Melbourne was explored by John Batman, a leading member of the Port Phillip Association in Van Diemen's Land, who negotiated a purchase with eight Wurundjeri elders. For 600,000 acres of Melbourne, including most of the land now within the suburban area, John Batman paid 40 pairs of blankets, 42 tomahawks, 130 knives, 62 pairs scissors, 40 looking glasses, 250 handkerchiefs, 18 shirts, 4 flannel jackets, 4 suits of clothes and 150 lb. of flour.
On 26 August 1835, Governor Bourke (in Sydney) issued a Proclamation which formally declared that Batman's Treaty was "void and of no effect as against the rights of the Crown" and declared any person on "vacant land of the Crown" without authorization from the Crown to be trespassing. The proclamation was approved by the Colonial Office on 10 October 1835. The official objection to the Treaty was that Batman had attempted to negotiate directly with an Aboriginal eldership which the British Government (at that time) did not recognise with having authoritative legal title over land in Australia. Secondly, Batman had purchased the lands for the Association, and not for the Crown.
Some historians continued to assume that the Treaty was a forgery, but the recollections of the aboriginal elder Barak, who was present at the signing of the treaty as a boy, established that Batman, with the aid of his New South Wales aborigines, did in fact participate in a signing ceremony.
And Melbourne quickly grew into a thriving community.
Batman and his family settled at what became known as Batman's Hill at the western end of Collins Street. He built a house at the base of the hill in April 1836. Batman's health quickly declined after 1835 as syphilis had disfigured and crippled him, and he became estranged from his wife, convict Elizabeth Callaghan. They had had seven daughters and a son, and they all went to live with friends and relatives. In his last months of his life Batman was apparently cared for by the local Aboriginal people. On Batman's death on 6 May 1839, having died alone, his house was requisitioned by the government for administrative offices.
1837: In February 1837, a senior Sydney surveyor, Robert Hoddle, accompanied Governor Bourke to this newly established settlement. Hoddle is noted for his significant role in laying out the design of the central business district, giving Melbourne's citizens a unique well-planned city with wide major streets and narrow secondary streets. His plan allowed for the impressive boulevards and many public parks that are a feature of Melbourne today. In March 1837, the town was named Melbourne, after Lord Melbourne
1839: In January 1839 Charles La Trobe (1801-1875) was appointed superintendent of the Port Phillip District. He arrived at Melbourne on 30 September with his wife and daughter, two servants and a prefabricated house.
La Trobe did not come to administer an established colony, for the Port Phillip District was simply a new and rapidly developing dependency of New South Wales. As superintendent all his decisions had to be approved by Governor Sir George Gipps, his senior in Sydney who controlled land sales, plans of public buildings and the appointment of officers. So all the revenue for Port Phillip administration also had to be allotted by the New South Wales government. Gipps and La Trobe however had excellent terms of friendship and mutual respect, the governor acting as guide and mentor to the superintendent, particularly in relationships with their mutual superiors at the Colonial Office.
1847: Melbourne was declared a city by letters patent of Queen Victoria, issued on 25 June 1847.
1851: The Port Phillip District became the separate Colony of Victoria in 1851, with Melbourne as its capital. Charles La Trobe was now promoted to Lieutenant Governor. Days later gold was discovered near Ballarat, and subsequently at Bendigo.
Melbourne, which served as the major port and provided most services for the region, experienced rapid growth. Within months, the city's population had increased by nearly three-quarters, from 25,000 to 40,000 inhabitants.
1854: Charles La Trobe returned to England, and was replaced by Charles Hotham, who discovered a serious discrepancy in the colony's books of account, its "imprest" system of making large cash advances. The same year there was an armed rebellion by miners protesting new mining licensing laws (the "Eureka Stockade"). This was crushed by British troops, but some of the leaders of the rebellion subsequently became members of the Victoria Parliament when responsible self-government came in 1855. The same year, Charles Hotham passed away, and was replaced by Henry Barkly.
Also in 1855 the Melbourne Cricket Club secured possession of its now famous ground, the MCG. Members of the Melbourne Football Club codified Australian football in 1859, and Yarra rowing clubs and "regattas" became popular about the same time. In 1861 the Melbourne Cup was first run. By 1865, Melbourne had overtaken Sydney as Australia's most populous city.
** End of Report