In the New Testament there are several Greek words related to this word in which we see at least five different shades of meaning.
- skopeo — to "scope", scout out a mark (generally from a distance).
- eido — to know, to see casually, no major choice needing to be made, at times a source of pride.
- blepo — to "look" at or to observe, where a choice is being made, also translated as behold, beware, take heed.
- horao and optanomai — to stare at, "ward", guard with eyes wide open.
- theoreo and theaomai — to make an earnest inspection / study, through which we get the modern word "theorize" :-).
**End of List