In the New Testament there are several Greek words related to this word in which we see at least five different shades of meaning.
- skopeo — Scope, Look After, Scout out a mark from a distance.
Associated with "Sceptic", Investigate dig (skapto), also Bishop (episkope) and Visit (episkeptomai).
- blepo — "Look" (simple voluntary observation).
- eido — "Vision, Awareness" (mechanical, passive or casual).
- horao and optanomai — "Gaze" with wide open eyes.
- theaomai and theoreo — "Earnestly Inspect", through which we get the words "theatre, theorize" :-).
**End of List